On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 01:32:07PM -0400, David J Brooks wrote:
> Interesting Bruce.
> I wonder if the Pentax judges even look at them if the "peers" don't
> think much of a photo.

Well, no.  That's the whole point of peer review - to winnow down
the number of submissions so the judges have less to look at.

That's also what many people object to - it's not a critical
review process as much as it is a popularity poll.  We like to
think that we are better than the average photographer, and take
exception to this rejection of what we consider to be good shots.
We need to remember that the primary purpose of the Pentax gallery
is to sell Pentax cameras, not to showcase our talent.  For that
purpose a shot that appeals to a large number of potential owners
is the best choice, no matter what a critical minority may think.