This is the WORST sort of mental masturbation, but this is what my all-time
perfect camera would be like:

It would be built by Pentax to the same high standards as the Spotmatics
(with the same kind of cosmetic durability--more old Spotties look better
for longer than any other kind of old camera). The only differences would be
that it would be a few millimeters shorter in the "shoulders," and have an
LX-Grip-B-style grip. Oh, and it would have a flip-up keyed battery
compartment, built to last.

Then, it would have EVERY SINGLE feature of the Nikon FM3a except the 93%
finder, the F lensmount, the double-exposure switch, and Nikon's dopey
pull-the-winding-crank-out-from-the-body on-off switch. You know, the one
that always pokes you in the forehead whenever you shoot a vertical. Instead
of the Nikon's 93% finder, it would have a 100% finder for those backwards
purists who shoot full-frame.

Its winding crank would be as smooth-acting as a Leica M's.

Its shutter would be veeery quiet.

Finally, it would have only one new feature--a small button next to the
shutter button that would act a spotmeter and exposure lock in one, a la the
Olympus OM-4T. This is a wonderful feature in real life, very handy and
quick.

That's it. That's my perfect camera. Anything I left out?

--Mike