I've recently taken to using Adobe Camera Raw as the first step to
pulling files into Photoshop - whether they are RAW files or JPEG -
because the ACR tools are a nice quick way to get an image more-or-
less where I want it before fiddling around with the finer controls in
CS3 (especially white balance!).

However, I've noticed an annoying behavior which I cannot explain.  I
always sort my photo files in finder by "last modified" which is
usually the date/time the image was created in the camera.  But any
JPEG file which I've opened with ACR has its "last modified" date/time
set to the date/time I opened it with ACR.  This is even though the
contents of the JPEG file are clearly the same as the original file (I
always do a "save as" and put the results of my edits into a
completely different directory).

Just as a test, I checked out how everything behaves if I set the JPEG
file to Read-Only before opening it... and everything works as before,
except this DOES prevent the file modification date from being changed
(yay).

Does anyone know why this is happening - or better yet, a workaround
which does NOT involve setting every file to read-only before I open
it?   This is definitely not an "end-of-the-world" problem, but it is
slightly annoying.

  -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]