Picasso never repeated himself, and his art is certainly not dead. I
have an edition of his sketchbooks, plus several books of his drawings
and paintings. What really stands out for me is the energetic
creativity and constant change and experimentation, allied with
astonishing discipline, single-mindedness, self-criticism and
knowledge of art history.

I can thoroughly recommend the book "Je suis le cahier de Pablo
Picasso" to anyone who is interested in seeing how he worked up his
ideas into their final form. A visit to the Musee Picasso in Paris is
also time well spent - not least because it is such a beautiful
building.

Bob