On Mar 25, 2008, at 8:33 AM, David Savage wrote:

>>  I see it as a means of providing 'creative constraint' ... limiting
>>  yourself to just so many exposures, just that spectral response,
>>  speed, grain, etc frees you to work within the boundaries in a
>>  different way compared to digital capture.
>
> And as he freely admitted he lacks the personal disciple to use the
> DSLR in the same fashion. Also he's primarily into street shooting,
> the 5D isn't a subtle piece of equipment for that type of work.

Take a 5D, put a 35mm lens on it, go out and shoot.  A 5D is neither
more nor less subtle than the person using it. It's neither more
obtrusive nor unobtrusive than the Hasselblad 500CM, the Rolleiflex
TLR, the Nikon F3, or even the K10D and a 16-50 lens that I use
occasionally for street shooting...

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/12-goofin.jpg
Goofin' - San Francisco 2008
Pentax K10D + DA* 16-50/2.8
ISO 800 @ f/7.1 @ 1/20 sec, fl=21mm

... although I do prefer something more compact and lighter weight.
The Panny L1 fitted with the new Olympus ZD 25/2.8 lens or with the
35 Macro or Nikkor 20mm is delightful. The K10D with DA21 or FA43 is
great.

It's a matter of discipline and learning how to work unobtrusively no
matter what the equipment is. Equipment isn't the answer to that.

Admitting that you lack the personal discipline to work the way you
know you ought to, and doing nothing about  it, means to me that
you're not really very serious about the work and are just having a
good time playing with fancy toys.

> He raised some interesting points while I was talking to him. The one
> thing many people like about digital is the freedom to experiment &
> shoot things you normally wouldn't. His view was while that is good it
> can also have the effect of diluting/blurring the photographers focus
> (no pun intended).

I agree only insofar as people who don't know better or who lack
discipline and focus in their efforts allow themselves to be
distracted by doing dumb things, by expecting things that do not make
any sense.

When I go out on a paid shoot by a client, I listen to what the
client's need/desires are and put 100% of my concentration behind
obtaining the best work that they will want to pay for. Period.

When I go out on a shoot for my own work, I have a target in mind. I
bring the equipment that I think will suffice for that target, maybe
a little extra if I think things might change, etc. Circumstance and
conditions my lead my interests elsewhere.. I see no reason not to
follow those hunches and whims, so I operate a bit opportunistically.

But what medium I use to record my photographs is not an issue. I
work with my digital cameras in ways that are almost identical to how
I work with my film cameras, modulo the fact that with the digital
camera I have more tools at my disposal to evaluate on the spot
what's going on if the lighting is difficult and can make more good
exposures.

Godfrey