----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Desjardins"
Subject: Re: The psychology of fanbois

> The rubber-mounted engine models  (2004 and later) have far less
> vibrations.  They still don't handle as well as  a sportbike, but well
> enough for riding around.

The Sporties from when I was riding (mid 70s through to the mid 80s handled as
well as or better
the other 1000cc bikes that were available at the time. The Cow 1000 was a cow
when put into a
turn, and the Goldwing wasn't noted for nimble handling either. I know because
I rode both. The
Wing had been stripped for the street, so the touring equipment can't be held
blame. The Wing
did have a nice smooth engine, which the inline engines didn't have. I found
the inline fours to
be hand numbingly buzzy, whereas the Harleys, while they did vibrate enough to
make you need to
pee quite often, the vibration was a low enough frequency that you could settle
into it and ride
with it, in much the same way that a horse rider gets acclimatizes to the
movements of his steed
(I've done my share of bareback riding as well).
The big Beemers were definitely several cuts above anything else that was on
the street, but
they had all the style of a pregnant walrus.

William Robb