----- Original Message -----
From: "Amita Guha"
Subject: RE: Watermakrs

> Sorry to jump into this thread so late. No one has
> mentioned the infamous right-click-blocker
> Javascript, which of course can't prevent the user
> from going into his/her browser cache to retrieve
> the image, but then at least it takes a little
> more effort to do so.
>
> I recently met a photog who told me that he gives
> all his images simple file names, and then he does
> periodic searches for them online. He says that
> people won't bother to change image names that are
> simple, and he has caught people using that
> method. He once found an image of his being used
> by a bank, and he took legal action against them.

It is also a good idea to put a robots.txt file into the root
directory of your website to limit what web bots can lift
(providing the web bots obey the conventions).
Thanks to Mark Roberts and Rob Studdert for helping me with
learning this stuff.
This is one of the issues we had to deal with on the PUG, which
is an excellent one stop shopping center image bank.
It is also a good idea to slightly over compress images going to
a web display, as it limits their usefulness, and also to limit
image dimensions to something fairly small.
William Robb