I have just spent the evening compiling the first revision
of PENTAX historical new street prices. This first rev. includes
screw and K lenses of spring 1976, k an m lenses of Feb '79
and Oct. '81. These dates are interesting because spring '76
both a full line of screw and K were being sold and the K
mounts were brand new ( although nearly all were reworked
m42 designs) , feb '79 the
M series were brand new, and late '81 was near the dawn of
the "A" series.....

Some suprises to me, especially when adjusted for inflation.
The first 80-200 F4.5 zoom was astronomical in price!
The early K135-600/6.7 had an inflation adjusted price of over
$3500 in 2007 dollars, thats got to be the most expensive
K/M lens ever made. Over twice the price of the K15mm F3.5.
Seems like the SMCK Bellows 100mm/4.0 was the cheapest real SMC K mount
lens ever sold by Pentax. The k135/2.5 lens, which is now a prized
collectors item
was being closed out DIRT cheap in the early 80's, most likely
it was "too big" in the M era!

Anyway, I am going to vastly expand this as time goes by
but this first version seems like it would be somewhat interesting to some
Pentax
fans I would think. Anyone can feel free to publish this if desired,
it would have all slipped out sooner or later, but compilation
credit would be appreciated. It was work. I got all the data from
old magazine ad from back issues I bought on ebay. If anyone has any other
data
from magazine ads from other dates, I would glady add to
the database compilation and redistribute.

I would welcome others comments on these price values
vs. lens models too.

http://www.jchriso.com/temp/PHLPN.xls

jco