On Apr 8, 2008, at 7:29 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
> Or a decent shot with an imperfect lens.
>
> http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7147418
>
> Two things here.
> First: I'm training Grace to be a placekicker in the NFL. Note the
> perfect form. Hand out for balance. Head down. She's a natural.

LOL ... funny.

You're focused a little behind her in this photo. Her hand on the
right is in focus but her face isn't.

> Second: Shot this with the obviously defective DA* 16-50/2.8 . Looks
> okay, doesn't it? And most shots will. Real world shooting doesn't
> always reveal defects. But someday when shooting a nearly flat scene
> wide open, one side of the shot will be a bit soft. The lens costs
> far too much to tolerate that kind of performance. Sometimes it's
> good to test. But only rarely:-).

I shoot so much "almost flat" subject matter a lens defect like this
should be apparent pretty quickly. Like this one:

http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/photo/PAW7/46b.htm

All I can see from the un-processed exposure is that I was a little
off from dead-on to the subject. Focus seems just fine.