On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> frank theriault wrote:
>  > These cranks/spiders are about 4 or 5 years old, so they're showing
>  > their age (that's not dirt on the arm, it's where the shiny stuff has
>  > worn off).  They're still beautiful in my eyes...
>  >
>  > http://tinyurl.com/4xk56t
>  >
>  >
> http://bp2.blogger.com/_EaTEtfR4WJw/R_oPzaIJ-JI/AAAAAAAABww/0Pj5rQD3FPw/s1600-h/apr_07_08+002.jpg
>
>  Oh my goodness, they're METAL!
>  How fashionably "old school"!
>  <g>

"Old School"?

Chris Hoy found old school just fine when he won the 2008 UCI matched
sprint worlds in Manchester last month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUn2bLOvxHM

I don't know that they make track cranks out of CF.  Maybe they do, I
just haven't heard of it.

I do know that Hoy is so freaking strong that he has snapped several
chains.  Those are track chains which are much thicker than road
chains (you might be able to see from my photo), and he has snapped
them on the standing-start kilo (he's world champ).

Is there a more exciting racing sport than the matched sprint?  I
don't think so!

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson