There is still time to get your submission in before the 15th of December.

REPOST:

Ok, I have given Aaron's expansion of my challenge some thought. I just
wanted to see a truly photographic quality digital print from a consumer
inkjet. I have never seen one though I have seen many that I was told were
"you can not tell from a photo". Aaron has given me an expanded idea, and a
small service I can give back to the list. So here's the deal.

 Send my your best digital print from a consumer printer along with the
brand
and model of your printer and of course your name and e-mail address. I will
publish a monthly list of those printers rated based on the best print I
have received to date. The ratings will be:

PRINTER QUALITY RATINGS:
A. Awful (Why did they bother to send this.)
B. Better. (Comparable to a newspaper color photo.)
C. Cool (A very nice print, but not photographic in appearance. Comparable
to a magazine photo.)
D. Delightful (Nearly photographic quality. Comparable to a glossy magazine
photo.)
E. Excellent (Equal to a good mini-lab print. No  halftone dots visible to
the naked eye.)
F. Fantastic (Equal to a custom print by an expert printer. No halftone dots
visible with a 4x loupe.)

 I will compile a list of the printers that have been submitted along with
the highest rating a print from that printer has achieved. I won't publish
anything about lower rated prints, as I think we are interested in the
potential capability of the particular printer rather than the skill of the
operator. However, upon request I will provide the submitter the rating of
his print via personal e-mail.

 My reference print that I will compare your digital prints to is the
mini-lab print of our own Tom Van Veen that he put up on his website. It is
a  competent mini-lab print with a full range of tonalities from black to
white so should make a good reference and insure that I am comparing all
prints to the same standard.

 I will also publish here on the list the names of the submitters of the
three best prints I have received each year conferring upon them the title
of "PDML Master Digital Photographic Printer". A high honor indeed. Deadline
for 2001 will be December 15, so send your print ASAP.

 Send your print via snail mail to:

 PDML Challenge c/o
Tom Rittenhouse
4018 Hiddenbrook Dr
Charlotte, NC 28205
USA

1. All rights to the photo remain the photographers.
2. It will not be published with out specific permission of the
photographer.
3. It will not be returned unless adequate return postage is included.
(Being digital you can easily make another copy.)

--graywolf