On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:29:23PM -0400, Beaker wrote:
> Nope. The "bomb" (really spelled "bomba" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Marian_Rejewski)

   ... usually transliterated, in English, as "bombe"

>   was the stepfather of Cotty's, "portable machine", the German
> "Enigma" cypher machine.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_machine

Stepchild, really.  The Enigma came first.

> It was built by the Poles to decipher NAZI encripted communications.

Not just Nazi - the Enigma was also used by the Wermacht,
a lot of whom were pretty much opposed to Nazi philosophy.
A variation of the Enigma (with more rotors) was also used
by the German Navy.   And, of course, it was used in the
U-boats - the capture of an Enigma from a crippled U-boat
was given the Hollywood treatment in the movie "Enigma".

There's an Enigma machine at the Computer History Museum.