Speaking of bureaucracies... As you may know, a huge cache of
materials on Os' BinLad's organization has been gathered over the
last few years and subjected to analysis. An interesting story in the
NY Times (or Washington Post?) today (or yesterday? Sorry to be hazy
on the details - between 5-days travel last week and intense effort
to file multiple tax returns, I am only slowly catching up.)
concerning the recently published results of the analysis. Turns out
they are very bureaucratic as well! They quoted memos from agents
complaining about not having been paid for three months and the rent
is now six months overdue and what is a poor terrorist supposed to
do. Memos about the need to cut costs, memos chastising individuals
for misspending funds on luxuries. Memos to subordinates chastising
them for killing too many people and giving the organization a bad
name. Many memos, many rules and procedures. They make normal
bureaucracies look like free-wheeling entrepreneurial outfits!

stan