I've been busy recently, so I couldn't read PDML much.
However, I thought I'd report my first experience with Lowepro Fastpack 250.
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086.htm
This is based on a 3-day trip.

I bought this for the trips that are not specifically photography-
related, but where I want to take with me both my camera and my laptop.
It is a new model, released just earlier this year.
This image shows the main advantage of it compared to other similar
dual-purpose bags, easy access to the camera:
http://products.lowepro.com/CatalogImages/18-2086-IMG3L.jpeg
You can reach the camera without opening the entire photo compartment -
from the side, similarly to "slimshot" bags.
There is actually an additional removable divider that can support the
camera with a shorter lens attached.

Nice cusion at the bottom and everywhere seems to provide very good
protection for the camera and the laptop. I also like that the
weight distribution tends to land this backpack upright.

In the photo-gear compartment, you can fit a camera body with a medium
size zoom lens attached, plus 2-4 primes (or 1-3 and a flash).
(Of course, if you try to put 200 or 300mm lenses, you might not be
able fit as many primes)
It feels well on the back - even when held over just one shoulder.

I like it, and it's a keeper.
Also, it is rather reasonably priced at $90 at Amazon, B&H, etc.

The main thing that is missing is some type of side pocket where
one can tack away the waist-level belt when it is not in use.

Other optional suggestions I'd have include a slightly larger pocket
on the shoulder strap. The present one is a bit too narrow to fit
a cell phone.

There is a slightly bigger brother, Fastpack 350, but to me it was
already a bit too big.

I hope this is helpful to some people on the list.
Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.
(I am not associated with LowePro or whatever related.)

Igor