> I am working on developing my own line of camera bags. My project is
> still in its infancy, but I'm working with a designer on some
concepts
> I've had in my head for a while. I'd love to hear any other ideas
you
> guys would like to see implemented in a camera bag.
>
> Amita

Presumably you think that there is a gap in the market. Can you let us
know what the current range of bags don't do that they should, or that
yours could do better? I'm intrigued that in such a crowded market you
think there's still an opening.

Anyway I hope you make millions of bucks. Here, for what it's worth,
are my thoughts.

I think you need to be absolutely sure about whether the bag is meant
for transport or for working out of - the requirements are very
different. I tend to use a Pelican case for transport, and a shoulder
bag for working from. A transport bag needs good padding, packability
etc. whereas a working bag doesn't need padding (except on the base),
but it does need ease of use, particularly opening and closing. You
shouldn't have to mess around when taking things in and out of a
working bag; it's less important for a transport bag. My thoughts
below are for a working bag.

Canvas is the best material to use. Not only is it durable and water &
dust resistant, it is also more comfortable against your body during
hot or humid weather. Materials like nylon tend to be very sweaty if
you've been carrying them all day.

You should be able to open and close all the flaps quickly and easily
with one hand. For me the Domke metal clips are perfect for this, and
their bags are very good in having only one clip for the main flap.
Compare this with, for example, a LowePro S&F bag I have which uses 2
clips for the main flap, and the clips cannot be fastened easily with
one hand (although they can be unfastened with one).
http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/camera-cases/soft-case/lowepro/PR
D_84140_3124crx.aspx

I would prefer not to use Velcro for keeping flaps closed - it's too
noisy when you tear it apart. This is a failing of most bags,
including Domke.

It should be easy to secure the bag to a bicycle in a way that it is
stable and doesn't unbalance the bike. Ideally it would be possible to
use the camera bag as a saddle bag similar to a Carradice, but with a
quicker release.

It's not necessary for a working bag to be able to hold tons of stuff.
You will be carrying it for hours in hot, sweaty conditions, so you
will want to keep things light by reducing the amount of stuff you
carry. At most 2 bodies with attached lenses (wide & long zooms) with
one extra lens, small flash head, light meter, notebook & pen, a small
book (eg travel guide or map), a bit of food and perhaps a water
bottle attachment.

Bob