[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Slightly off topic, but I know this group will have a wealth of information.
>
> I am looking at converting a huge amount of 35mm film negative, and 35mm
> slides into digital format.  I know that to do this best, I will need to
> purchase a dedicated film scanner.  I have done some preliminary reserarch
> on Amazon, and am a little overwhelmed with the choices.  I'm willing to
> spend somewhere around $300 US as of right now, and am hoping that ya'll
> might be able to provided me with some of your own opinions.

Slide scanning?  A handgun and single bullet will be less painful.  <g>

> Hardware:
>    I already have several USB and Firewire external hard drives as well as
> a DVD burner.
>    My primary computer is an Intel-chipped MacBook
>    I have access to a IBM Thinkpad X61, but this is a work computer, and I
> prefer to use the Mac.
>
> So, on that note, all comments are welcome, and appreciated.

Seriously, check out B&H and see what's available in your price range.
I doubt you'll find much.  The selection isn't what it used to be.  Lots
of folks like the DiMAGE scanners.  You'll have to troll eBay for one of
those, as they're out of production.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com/fivetoedsloth/