> From: "Bob W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2008/05/01 Thu PM 09:50:16 GMT
> To: "'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'" <pdml@pdml.net>
> Subject: RE: Traveling issues ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
> > Hello everyone! Need advices on a travelling issues. I expect
> > to go in
> > Pragua for 10 days. How do I manage out there for charging
> > batteries?
> > Is it better to bring the more batteries I can? Do I need special
> > electrical outfits to charge them? And what about memory
> > cards SD? The
> > more I have, the better it is? In your opinion, do I have to bring a
>
> > laptop (to save photos) which is a boring thing to carry,
> > isn't?  All
> > your precious advices are welcome.
> > Gaëtan B.
> >

> call me an old git, but I still think of these things in terms of
> rolls of film. I haven't been on a long trip for some time, but I tend
> to average 5-6 rolls a day when I'm travelling. That's about 200
> frames per day. I have an image tank of some sort and have used that
> for short trips (about a week), and it is quite convenient and usable.
> I bought it because it was cheaper than buying a large number of
> cards, but card prices seem to have come down a lot since then.
>
> Personally I wouldn't want to schlep a laptop around.
>
> As for recharging batteries, I believe they have a reliable supply of
> electricity in Prague and are adequately stocked with suitable
> outlets. Any halfway decent travel shop will be able to help you.
> http://www.prague-guide.co.uk/categories/Electricity,-Adapters/

Just another thought:  instead of the bulk and suchlike of a laptop or the
expense of an image tank, you could pick up a USB external hard drive, take the
USB cable for your camera (or a card reader) and use an internet cafe to copy
(not transfer) images to the HDD.  I bought a new LaCie 320Gb USB drive for
£29.99 last week.