Hmmm...That was me that mentioned Briefcase.  Don't know if that's a
Vista issue, but it works well for me w/XP Pro and a USB external drive.
  I did a quick Google for Briefcase problems w/Vista and apparently
there's a bug in Briefcase that causes some problems w/Vista.  Several
recommended a Microsoft PowerToy called SyncToy that solves the
Briefcase problem and works better.  It's a free download from MicroSoft.

http://tinyurl.com/7dlru

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

-p