----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael S. Keller"
Subject: Re: Should I care about film?

> Thanks? I was a teenager, with limited funds. One did what one could. At
> least I had an SLR for shooting said film, and an eagerness to experiment.

In my first darkroom, I kept chemistry in beer bottles (they were brown, and
about the right
size), I set up the enlarger which came as a "darkroom kit" from Simpson Sears
(a large
department store chain in Canada) on the deep freeze, with the trays beside it,
and a bucket of
water on the floor beide the fixer. I could only do 4x5 prints (that was the
size of trays that
came with the kit).
I kept the entire basement dark with several layers of green trash bags over
the windows.
Fortunately, the deep freeze was on the other side of the basement from the
door, so I didn't
get too much light from around it. As long as no one opened the door,
everything was fine.
I didn't have a camera, but my dad had a bunch of negatives that he wanted to
see prints from,
so I learned B&W by contact printing film from the late 1940s/ early 1950s.
That was in 1971, when I was 13.

Eventually, my dad bought a Pentax Spotmatic II, and gave me his Fujica
rangefinder camera
(which I still have in my display case).
I think we all did what we could with what we had available to us at the time.

William Robb