Amita wrote:
[Problems getting prints from astrophotographic exposures -- snipped....]

Hi Amita,

Getting machine prints from astrophotographic exposures is problematic.  I
think the fundamental problem is that the machines usually can't determine
the boundary between two successive exposures.  (Worse yet, the technicians
can't determine this visually, and they often end up cutting the film right
through the middle of an exposure.)  At least in my experience, it seems
that the drug and department store minilab technicians haven't had enough
training to know how to override the machine and manually print a specified
area of the negative strip.  Perhaps it isn't even possible to override some
machines?  I shot about half a roll of the Christmas eclipse a couple years
ago and I had a devil of a time getting prints from the nearby drugstore.
The central image of the partially eclipsed Sun was quite dense, but the
machine just couldn't figure out where the edges were.

What ~may~ help is to shoot a conventional scene at the beginning of each
roll, and instruct the technician not to cut the film.  This way, you'll at
least have a starting point from which to reference the registration of the
rest of the exposures.  Another trick is to get a little bit of something
terrestrial -- a tree branch, the edge of a building, a horizon -- into your
shot.  This usually gets exposed enough to allow the machine to see the edge
of the negative frame.

Hope this helps.  I still haven't shot the rest of my roll that I hopefully
have a few Leonids on -- been sick with the flu and haven't gotten outside
with the camera yet.  Maybe this weekend.

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY