To be honest I had the same concern prior to buying the lens but as it
turns out the zoom mechanism is very smooth and is well damped to
permit smooth control.. So is the AF .. it has a focus clutch for MF
that damps the af ring very nicely.  The only down side of the
extending zoom is that it shifts the balance slightly although this is
not a major concern. I found that the damping on my manfrotto 393
handles this shift in balance well enough that i can let go of the
camera/lens combo in any zoom position and the camera will stay put
where i leave it.  The lens also features a zoom lock that prevents
the lens from extending when being carried.

Bottom line ... in real life i don't find that the extending zoom is an issue.

My only peeve with the lens (and all sigma ex lenses) is that the
lovely sigma EX finish tends to scuff quite easily.

regards

Patrick

--
Regards