Saving plastic's not the point.  If you examine the hot shoe closely on
among other cameras the like *ist-D and Ds, the hot shoe equipped prisms
for the LX the ME and probably other cameras as well, you'll see a
plastic pin, under the metal leaf spring on the same side as the cutout
on the flash shoe cover.  That plastic pin is an isolation switch to
keep the hot shoe from being live when a flash is connected to the PC
socket, (yea, what really makes sense on a *ist-Ds, since it doesn't
have a PC socket but that's another matter).  The cutout keeps the
spring in the switch from being under stress while the hot shoe cover is
in place.  There may also be some other reason to keep that switch open
when the hot shoe cover is in place, but I can't imagine why...

--
Vote for Cthulhu. Why settle for a lesser evil...
   -- Dr. Jerry Pournelle