Yes, I probably wasn't very clear.  As the aperture changes the flash
will compensate.  I should probably rephrase that comment and move it
to the intro.

I shot a series in Av mode, running the aperture from f/2.8 through
f/11. In Av mode, with the flash on,  the camera seems to like 1/125
sec shutter speed.  I could clearly see the flash change it's power
output from shot to shot.  In this series all of the backgrounds are
about the same, but you can see the depth of field change.

In Tv mode I ran the series from 1/4 sec to 1/180. At 1/4 sec the
camera chose f/3.5.  It chose f/2.8 at all other shutter speeds.  The
results were similar to the manual mode series.  In the end I used
manual so I could control as many variables as possible.

GS
<http://georgesphotos.net>