Further to what was said:
The two flasguns were triggered at a different moment in time, one at
the leading edge of the sync pulse and the second at the trailing edge
(this is in fact rear curtain sync)
In this way the light output of each gun could be measured and
controlled independently.
Example if the main flash came from the side of a model, the shadow side
could be too dark, too much contrast. The second flash (maybe on the
camera) could bring just a bit of light in the dark parts to get a
contrast that could be handled by the film.
On the PZ-1, I created contrast control with 30 year old automatic
flashes, one triggered at the leading edge and one triggered with the
trailing edge. I only had to make a little circuit for one flash to
surpress the leading edge and to invert the trailing edge to get rear
curtain sync.
One of these days I should check if my K10D allows the same trick.
If I only had time...........
Greetz, Jos