Would have been better if you'd set the flash on a lightstand, angled
into the scene and slightly above, triggered with a slave remote, so
that the flash "fill" could create some modeling shadows. Most look
kinda flat to my eye.

I've done this for portraits done outdoors in shade or an overcast
day using a little trigger flash (the Nikon SB-30, courtesy Adam's
suggestion) set on minimum output manual and the IR shield raised, a
Wein strobe slave sensor, and the Sunpak 383 fitted with Lumiquest
Mini SoftBox set to manual 1/8-1/16 output. A couple of test shots
and you dial in the flash/ambient exposure balance, then you just
shoot and concentrate on framing and focus (presuming your light
stays reasonably consistent). I like doing that much more than trying
to figure out what the flash automation systems will do.

Godfrey