The cable remote release is just a two circuit switch. One switch
turns on the meter and focusing system, the other trips the shutter.

But you can buy the "Canon Remote Switch RS-60E3" from B&H Photo for
$25 that works perfectly as a replacement for the $40 Pentax CS-201,
or go to Ebay and find the same thing made in China for $4.

I personally wouldn't waste the time to make one.

Godfrey