On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:58 PM, P. J. Alling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Asahi is the name of a river, a lot of different things are named after
> it, much like say Washington.  Washington Mutual Insurance has noting to
> do with the Washington Nationals< (baseball team), which has noting to
> do with Washington and Lee University,  except for the name...

I always thought Asahi meant "light" in Japanese.  Not light as in
"less affected by gravity" but light as in "absence of dark".  Ex
Oriente Lux and all.

Of course I could be wrong.  And I'm sure there is an Asahi River in Japan.

BTW, speaking of the Washington Nationals, they have nothing to do
with baseball.  Have you ever seen them play?

cheers,
frank
--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson