----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Perham" <
Subject: 24 X 36 Digital Image Sensors

> I was just browsing Mamiya's web site and noticed that amongst
the
> numerous digital backs available for their 6X7 cameras, the
two most
> popular size of image sensors are 72 X 96 and 24 X 36; the 35
mm format.

> If this size of digital image sensors are so readily
available, offering
> 6.3 megapixals and a 12 F-stop dynamic range, why is there
such a dearth
> of 35 mm digital SLR camera's with 24 X 36 sensors, and such a
> preponderance of cameras with smaller sensors that require a
+1.5X
> factor using standard 35 mm lenses.  I can see smaller sensors
in ZLR's
>  (camera's with non-interchangable zoom lenses), but if using
a body
> designed to use a manufactures existing line 35 mm lenses,
then why not
> offer 24 X 36 sensors?
>
> Any thoughts?   Mike.

I think we discussed this a short time ago. It has to do with
the way the CCD is manufactured, with the actual sensor sitting
at the bottom of a "well". The light leaving the lens travels at
an angle to reach the sensor, and consequently is vignetted by
the way the CCD is built.
Are you sure about the 72 x 96mm sensor? The Mamiya is
effectively a 7x7 cm camera because of the rotating back design.
A sensor with the dimension you mentioned would be somewhat
larger than what the camera was designed to cover.
William Robb