OK, I printed Bill's full image at 10" on a piece of paper. Assuming
he was shooting with a standard 23.5 x 15.7 mm sensor, the image is
10.8X on the paper. Measuring the image size with a machinist ruler I
come up with an image size on the sensor of .033 inch. Assuming the
plane to be a DC-10, at 180 feet long, he was flying at 43000 ft.
That's probably pretty close. Now, I still haven't figured out the
pilots name but I'm still working on that !!
:-)

Walt