I Have the A*300 f4. It's a nice lens but the minimum focusing distance is
just under 4 meters - a little too far for some uses (nothing like stalking
close to a subject - only to realize you are too close...)  300mm is not a
focal length I use a lot, and when I do I usually use a zoom.  If you plan
to use the lens a lot the F or FA would probably be a better choice.

- MCC

At 10:27 AM 12/2/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey gang,
>
>    I'm starting to think about getting a Pentax 300 /4 or /4.5 prime
>soon and wanted to get some advice on one subject:
>
>     How is the feel/control of the manual focus mechanism on an
>autofocus lens?
>
>    See, I'm currently using an LX, but I can foresee the day when I move
>'down' to autofocus.  It might be semi-useful to have a 300 that can
>autofocus, but not if the manual focus feel isn't any good.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Illinois Bill
>-
>This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To unsubscribe,
>go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't forget to
>visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org .

Mark Cassino
Kalamazoo, MI