On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 12:37:24PM -0700, gldnbearz wrote:
> Can someone educate me on the SDM enabled lenses? Am I correct in
> understanding that the AF is engaged only if you use the lens with an
> SDM enabled body?  Otherwise the lens if MF only?

No.  Some of the SDM lenses (the DA* 16-50 and 50-135, at least) also
have screwdriver AF, so they will work with older AF bodies.  I can use
my 16-50 on my *ist-D, and could use it on my PZ-1p (with vignetting).

The only SDM lens I know of that is SDM-only (thus requiring a K10D,
K20D or K200D) is the 17-70 lens.  Note that that actually has "SDM"
in the name of the lens.  I assume many (if not all) new lenses will
be SDM-only.