Hello Christine,

You have really hit on it.  Portrait work can be very difficult
because you have to produce something, not just record something.
The latter is more about timing and finding the right situation.  The
former is first and foremost about attitude.

What happens with portraits is the feeling of the subject really
comes through.  If the they are feeling a bit shy or timid, it shows.
 Your job is to somehow bring the inner self out and have the person
 really show something.  It usually means getting them to be very
 comfortable - talking and maybe laughing if it is to be a happy
 portrait.  Once things are comfortable, you just shoot away without
 changing the feeling - don't stop and say "now we are going to
 shoot" - you just shoot as you continue your talking.  It has to be
 a fun, enjoyable thing for both of you to have the most successful
 portraits.

 It is also easier, I think, to start with a tighter shot - not so
 much worry about the background.  As the session unfolds, and things
 are working, then you can introduce more backgrounds and poses.

 I hope I'm making sense.

--
Best regards,
Bruce