----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Hunt"
Subject: Re: PUG reminder

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 5:00 PM, William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Not having access to a 1D, my method of shooting Agility is to pick one
>> obstacle and focus on
>> it. When the dog gets to it, I take a picture. Usually, either too early or
>> too late.
>
> That's what I do with my K10D, but I don't find the timing to be too
> hard.  Keeping my left eye open helps.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/coneslayer/2441122563/
>
> I previously shot my wife's dogs with manual-focus Canon FD gear, so I
> guess I got used to working that way.  AF.S speeds up prefocusing on
> the jump, at least.
>
> Lately, I've been trying to shoot swallows in flight.  I had a
> 1-in-108 success ratio my first time out.  At least it makes the dogs
> seem easy.

Excellent shot!! I never seem to get it quite right. I don't look through the
viewfinder at all
when shooting Agility, I set up on the obstacle and watch the dog. I just don't
quite have the
timing down yet. We don't have many events here, so  don't get much practice. I
tried shooting
barn swallows at my inlaws acreage years ago with one of my Nikons (probably
the FE). The best I
managed over a 36 exposure roll was a black streak near the edge of the frame
that could have
been anything. Those little suckers are fast.

William Robb