> Something is wrong with your minivans.  I've had two Ford Windstars and
get
> 18-19 mpg now... was 17mpg with the old one.

Cruising at 79-85mph we got 200 miles between 20 gallon fills - there were
some high speed bits, I wasn't driving....

> And there is nowhere in the USA where you can cruise at 110mph in a
sportscar
> let alone a van.  Furthermore, the tires will not stand up to the
punishment.
>  About as fast as we cruise is 75mph or 120 Kph.

I believe one state has no posted maximum limit? And the deserted
interstates at night are similar to the european motorways (trans europe I
regularly hit cruise at 130-150 mph). Cars in the US I agree are built for
lower speeds, especially with those hard cross-ply tyres... The other thing
to remember is that long distance travel in the US is easy by air, for the
UK / EU we don't have brilliant or low cost air links.

> The difference in your fuel prices is all tax.  It keeps your countrymen
in
> the cities and on public transportation rather than roaming about the
> countryside.  <g>

Yep! And of course free healthcare, a good welfare system etc. I'm not
complaining, just showing a cultural difference!