----- Original Message -----
From: "Godfrey DiGiorgi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Yes, DR decreases as ISO increases and there's not much you can
> do about it.

Big thanks, Godfrey.  Didn't know the above. The schooling is much
appreciated!

> For this reason, the methodology I find most useful sith digital
> capture, considering Zone System, is to meter for the Zone IX
> highlights, not the Zone V midtones, and to consider what are the
> important highlights with the sensor's dynamic range in mind. Only at
> the lowest ISO settings can you cover a full 10 EV tonal range, so
> you have to be ready to pick your desired highlight level and lose
> the rest. For street photography, where keeping shutter speed up is
> desirable to reduce subject motion, you often need to raise ISO and
> live with the shorter DR.

Very helpful here!

> I don't expect that the K20D will be any different in principle
> although if it does have EDR capability, well, you have a bit more
> range to work with.
>
> Most of the time with street work, however, rather than spending time
> metering for every shot, I tend to put the camera in Av, pattern
> matrix mode and set the EV Compensation for +.3 to +.7 stops.

Yes, I do this often too.

> Some photographers carry around a deep sepia
> filter and use that to smash all the colors into something that
> resembles a typical B&W spectral response so they can see the tonal
> difference separate from the colors. I did that years ago. Now I just
> wing it ... I know how different colors affect my eye and judge
> accordingly.

How every interesting, but it requires the purchase of a sepia filter, and
I'm still suffering from purchasing fatigue, so I'll hold off on that.

Thanks, Godfrey.  You've provided a generously thorough primer here.
Cheers, Christine