On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Bruce Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> frank theriault wrote:
>> The other day I showed you a few street portraits taken at Toronto's
>> Pride Weekend festivities.  Today I'll show you a few other shots that
>> I took on Sunday.
>
> These are really great, Frank.  I especially like july_02_08+012.jpg.
>
> Do you have a preferred b&w conversion method, or at least hints, that
> you wouldn't mind passing-on?  These are all so vibrant!
>
> Cheers!

I don't know that I have any tips or hints.  I have a plug in for
Photoshop called BW Plus that I use to convert things into monochrome.
 It has a bunch of "filters" that one can choose from (red, yellow,
blue, etc - the usual camera lens filters) to change the tone of the
image.  After using that to convert, I just go into levels and adjust
accordingly. I use the "options" on levels, and fiddle with that
before I go to the sliders.

I find that my results are pretty uneven, as some days things really
work well, and others, things are pretty flat.  I think that in large
part my problem is that I do all my photoshopping on a laptop, and the
contrast varies greatly if one moves one's head up or down by only a
couple of degrees.  I try to always be perpendicular to the screen,
but that's not always possible.  Anyway, this bunch turned out well -
thanks for noticing!

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson