2008/7/9 mike wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> 2. This is simple territory marking; "here i reign, don't step closer".
>
> Unlikely without some associated form of display.

Question is whether taking stance on the ground in a overly
conspicuous place qualifies...

But I agree... At least on a gut feeling level... :-)

>> 4. habituation to human presence.
> Probably the most likely.  I have been within 10m of a live heron
> recently, which is pretty near impossible normally.

Had a funny experience in that department myself the day before
yesterday, of a heron hunting goldfish just outside the Hilton hotel
Docklands at Nelson Dock. Pics may follow when I get back home.

However we only observed this display on the path itself, not in the
surrounding terrain. The bird clearly had a preference for sitting
down on the _path_, as opposed to sitting down close to human beings.
And as Tim has remarked, if we stopped to look at them, they'd move
away.

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/