Actually, Superwide zooms these days often exceed the performance of
primes, look at Nikon's recent 14-24mm f2.8, which matches or exceeds
any prime in its range except the Zeiss C/Y mount 21mm Distagon, their
older 17-35mm f2.8 AF-S is nearly as good, outmatching pretty much any
lens in its range except for the exotic German glass. Wider than 20mm,
nothing can touch the Nikkor 14-24. Nikon's 200-400 f4 VR is similar
in being able to match or exceed prime performance.

Of course, either of these lenses is a significant investment ($1800
for the 14-24, $6000 for the 200-400).

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas