Bob Sullivan hazily remembered:
"I think the song was written and originally sung by Tom Lehrer in the '60's
while he was a grad student in Boston."

According to Wikipedia*:

"Ed Rush and George Cromarty wrote the song in 1957 and recorded it (as a
humorous ad spoof) in 1962 as The Goldcoast Singers on World Pacific Records
Here They Are! The Goldcoast Singers"
The authorship of the song has historically been incorrectly attributed to
Ernie Marrs.
Rush and Cromarty are listed as the authors by ASCAP[1] and by the song's
publisher, EMI Music Publishing."

Regards, Anthony Farr

* Being the lazybones I am, my fact-checking is often done through
Wikipedia, in spite of that source's low standing in the eyes of
intellectual snobs.  80% to 90% reliability is good enough for me
considering the speed and ease of access that Wikipedia affords.