> Further research (Boz's K-mount pages) informs me that there are two
> versions of M28/2.8.  I wasn't aware of the early version.  The later
> version is in fact the same optical formula as the A28/2.8, and has some
> similarities to A lenses unlike the early M lens which is has all the
> typical M features.

And then to complicate matters even further, theres the Takumar (non-coated)
K mount lenses...

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/_non-SMC/tak_28f2.8.html
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/_non-SMC/tak-A_28f2.8.html

I have one of the first ones I picked up in an auction lot some time back,
I've never used it though.  As far as I can tell both of these are similar
optically to the 'A' lens or later of the 'M' series, sans the coatings of
course.

- Peter