I need lots of practice in wording my sentences so those not familiar
with the term I know will know what the heck I'm talking about.

To that end:

Say, does that John Deere still run on petrol? Or has it been
converted to run on propane, as were many of the old tractors when it
was a big savings to the farmer during WWII, when petrol was scarce?
(My uncle called his John Deere his Johnny Popper, probably because
the sound of the exhaust was sharper than those that ran on gasoline.)