Hi Cory,
Yes, it's high speed synch. I use the 540 in that mode very often. In
mid afternoon with an overhead sun, it's a life saver. Used it at my
wedding shoot yesterday, and I always use it when shooting Grace at
the playground. The exposure on this shot was f4 @ 1/4000, ISO 200.
With a wide ap, the flash can fill in some of those shadows. Without
flash, this would have been a shot of Grace's nose and cheeks. The
eyes would have been black holes.
Paul