Everybody has good and bad or good and mediocre lenses.
If you are interested in pro level lenses all the G and HS G series are very
good. Some like the 17-35/3.5 G are way too expensive (costs as much as the
way overpriced Pentax FA 400/5.6) especially when you can get the Sigma
17-35/2.8-4 for about 1/3rd the price and close to the same performance.
Minolta has 2 great consumer zooms, the 100-300/4.5-5.6 APO and the newer
100-400/4.5-6.7 APO. The latter has almost the performance of the
frightfully expensive Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS at 1/4th the price. Both
equal the excellent Tokina ATX II 100-300/4 in performance at a more compact
size. In long range lenses the 600/4 HS G is superb as it the 300/2.8 and
200/2.8 HS G lenses. The one size they make that nobody else does is the
400/4.5 HS G. This is sort of a cult lens in that it can be bought new for
less than $2k, has a focus limiter switch so you can prevent AF hunting and
it is probably the sharpest long prime wide open that can be bought today
from any maker. It is slightly sharper at F4.5 than at any other setting and
it has a Photodo rating of 4.0 which is the best of any lens 400mm or longer
that I know of. Their 80-200/2.8 is rated much higher than the Pentax in MTF
scores and the people who use it like it (as do the people who use the
Pentax). I opted for the Sigma 70-200/2.8 EX instead. Both have the same
Photodo rating of 3.9 but the Minolta is sharper at the low end for PJ and
portrait work while the Sigma is slightly sharper at 180mm and up where I do
most of my work. I think if your friend tried a Maxxum 7 he would most
likely buy it. One of the advantages of Minolta is that all the 3rd party
lenses available are always available in this mount because like Pentax
their lens lineup is not as big as Canon or Nikon so buyers tend to shop the
non branded lenses more than the other 2. Plus since Minolta makes more
semi-pro and pro bodies than Pentax the 3rd party makers always keep their
pro lenses in their lineups in MAF mount because they often have a distinct
price/performance ratio advantage over the factory ones.
I personally like the Maxxum 9 because it is sort of a retro and at the same
time high tech body. Like an AF LX or Super A/Program body with dials you
can turn instead of having to scroll through some LED panel options.
Kent Gittings