On Aug 14, 2008, at 2:11 PM, Brian Walters wrote:

> Been wondering what had happened to the Kiwi contingent :-)>
>
> That event looks like it would have been great fun to shoot, provided
> you could unfreeze your fingers long enough to press the shutter
> release.

The mountains probably make it look a lot colder than it was.
Actually come to think of it, last Sunday was pretty frosty but once I
started running around a bit I soon forgot about it.  There was no
wind and plenty of sunshine which also helped a lot.  Especially after
I got both feet stuck in mud almost up to the knees.  What looked like
good sturdy dirt was anything but!

> My favourites:
(snip)

I've been trying to mix up a good variety of photos, some closeups,
some wider ones, I try to get quite a few with more than one person,
some with one or two people among nice scenery, some looking
downstream, etc.  Generally I try and time the shutter so that the
faces aren't obscured, except for 4-1056 which I quite liked for the
eyes (she placed 2nd in Open Female).

The editing is probably the hardest part.  I think I started with
120-150 photos.  I made the mistake of processing the good ones before
looking at how many there were (55).  Then I culled them down to 37
which is still a bit on the high side but bearable if you're interested.

Being an all-levels event it's quite interesting seeing the differing
attitudes of the paddlers.  You can easily tell who the big guns are
and who's just out for a good bit of exercise.

> As an aside, my son is currently somewhere over the Tasman as I
> write -
> spending a few days doing railway photography around Arthur's Pass.
> Probably freeze his arse off!

Arthur's Pass is a good place for that.  Also Middlemarch in Otago
where the Taieri Gorge Railway runs.  The landscape through there made
me wish I had a large format camera, a tent and about a month of spare
time.

I hope his gear hasn't all been shredded by kea.  They're a beautiful
parrot but I think they know that they're protected.  They will take
anything and everything to bits right in front of you.

- Dave