Len Paris wrote:

> I believe all of that.  What touched a hot button was the
> implication that non-Linux users are somehow bringing this all
> on themselves by not using Linux.

I apologize if I gave that implication, I really should be more more
verbose than quick quips.

I am an avid Microsoft non-user, not hater, as I believe the windows
platform has much to offer in game playing world, its slick interface
and easy access APIs make it easy to add new tools. My children use
windows for there games, as linux is not a game playing platform,

Funny thing, someone mentioned the added per user implementation in
XP, but you still need to be admin, to play games (sigh).

Linux is not totally virus free, however does suffer from many
exploitable
buffer overflows, a great failing of linux was that when installed, all
services
were turned on, presumably on the assumption that if you installed it,
you
wanted to use it. Now, with RedHat, these services need to be manually
swithched on and firewalling is built in by default. As a Sys Admin I
monitor logs daily for  a vast number of machines and we get on average
about 2 dozen scans or attempted breakins each hour. We have had only
1 machine comprimised in the last 6 years.

There are many good desktop features now in linux, for our purposes The
Gimp, is a good photo editting tool and gaining in popularity as alot of

amateur photographers cannot afford tools such as photoshop, coupled
with
the price of a MS lisence.

I am hoping that in the future we will see companies like PENTAX, Canon
and Minolta realease the required drivers for linux, or at least give
access
to the API's, most printer manufactures now do this, and now most
scanner
drivers are also available.

With MS heading towards .net, or applications as service, I can see many
people
not wanting to purchase these services and opting for MacOS or Linux as
substitute.

Kind regards
Kevin Waterson