> So what do you think - not specifically about these images but as a
> general view.  Even the great photographers of the past
> weren't shy when
> it came to 'improving' images - a dodge and burn here; a
> replacement sky
> there....  I sometimes wonder what some of the great photographers
of
> the past would have thought about Photoshop, had they been
> alive to use
> it.  In many
> cases, I'm sure they would have regarded it as another useful tool
> help in
> their craft.

It depends on what the photographer is claiming about the image.

If you photoshop some fairies into your picture, claim that they
really were there at the bottom of your garden, and sell the photos to
the News of the World on that basis, then you're very obviously lying
and it would be no different to writing an article about the
aforementioned fairies and claiming that it was true.

If on the other hand you sell the same picture as a whimsical fantasy
image then you're not doing anything wrong*.

Most people know the difference between fiction and reporting. It's
not wrong or immoral to write fiction*. The immoral thing is to claim
fiction as reporting.

It's not wrong or immoral to photoshop a photograph - the immoral
thing is to lie about it**.

Bob

*although personally I would imprison all writers of fantasy & science
fiction, and if he were still alive I would have Tolkien cut into
small pieces and fed to dwarves.

**generally speaking. There are, of course, situations where lying is
a moral thing to do, but going into detail here is stretching things a
bit.