On 18/8/08, Andy Danzig, discombobulated, unleashed:

>I have a 1979 Pentax MX.  Every few years the shutters locks open.
>The camera will be working great and without warning, in the middle of
>a roll, the shutter will lock open and won't release.  I'm tired of
>sending it off for service and am looking for help to troubleshoot
>this problem myself.
>Any advice or information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

You say the shutter locks open - is it indeed still exposing or is it
just the mirror in the up position?

Is the mirror sticking to the spongy mirror-stops? Next time it locks
open, remove the lens and see if the mirror is still up. If so, try
carefully helping it down with your finger, see if it finishes the exposure.

Easy to see in a test - remove lens and film back and operate while observing.

HTH

--

Cheers,
  Cotty