> Monochrome is any single color, on a white (or black), background.
> That's about it, any number of intermediate shades between all
> Color, (or Black), and no Color, (or White), is acceptable.
>
> Jens wrote:
>> Hello list
>> In my camera club we had a discussion:
>> What is monochrome? What's the "official" photographic definition?

I agree

Mono-chrome to me is as it is written; one color.

Look at any color chart, color wheel, color space, or what have you,
and there is a black, a white, and a number of or blend of all other
colors.

B&W film is monochrome. But a DSLR or any other camera with a red,
green, or blue B&W type filter will give a monochrome image. As such,
it would seem to me that any painting that is painted with one pigment
(blended with white or black for hues) would produce a monochromatic
result.

Joseph McAllister
Pentaxian

from the dictionary:
Noun: monochrome - photograph or picture developed or executed in
black and white or in varying tones of only one color.• representation
or reproduction in black and white or in varying tones of only one
color.
adjective: 1 (of a photograph or picture, or a television screen)
consisting of or displaying images in black and white or in varying
tones of only one color.2 lacking variety and interest; insipid ie:
the monochrome circuit of traveling Broadway productions.

from wikipedia:
For an image, the term monochrome is usually taken to mean the same as
black-and-white or, more likely, grayscale, but may also be used to
refer to other combinations containing only tones of a single color,
such as green-and-white or green-and-black. It may also refer to sepia
displaying tones from light tan to dark brown or cyanotype
(“blueprint”) images, and early photographic methods such as
Ambrotype, Tintype and Daguerreotype, each of which may be used to
produce a monochromatic image.