Thank you John, when I wrote my response I did not include any facts as I
felt that would have been inappropriate <g>.

Take two examples: FA28-70/4, and FA80-320/4.5-5.6 (I have these so can
speak with confidence).

When the 28-70 is set to 70, the iris is fully open giving f/4 (the opening
is 17.5mm diameter). Zoom the lens to 28mm and the iris gradually closes,
noticeably as you zoom between 35mm and 28mm. When you do this you become
aware that the lens could (in theory) be a variable aperture f/2 ish to f/4.

With the 80-320, at 80mm the iris diameter is 80/4.5 = 17.8mm. If you
applied this iris to the 320mm end the effective aperture would be f/18, so
the lens's aperture mechanism is connected to the zoom mechanism to close
the iris as you zoom wider. The maximum aperture at the wide end is limited
by optical performance rather than geometry.

In any case, with the 80-320 set to minimum aperture (f/32 at 80mm), the
viewfinder indicates a change to f/38 as the lens is zoomed to 320mm.

Regards
Jim Brooks