You can click the "Show Details" next to the time received (on any
Gmail message).
Here's a comparison of my unsuccessful vs successful "Show Details"
Unsuccessful:
http://cgi.unk.edu/tmp/PDMLunsuccessful.png
Successful:
http://cgi.unk.edu/tmp/PDMLsuccessful.png
To fix, I had to specifically go into my settings and set my gmail
address as my reply-to address
http://cgi.unk.edu/tmp/PDMLsettings.png

Not sure if this is screwed up by default or if I did something to
change it (in the past) but after the reply-to address showed in the
"Show Details" of my Sent mail, I was getting confirmations that they
were received.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE